Occasional jottings from the cellars of D. Byrne & Co. www.dbyrne-finewines.co.uk
- Summer Newsletter 2017Welcome to any of you who are new to our quarterly newsletter. Hippy-like we tend to move with the seasons and will not inundate you with messages, however, if you want to hear more from us we will soon be writing a more regular blog with news from the shop written by our very knowledgeable members of staff. You will get to hear about their own tastes in wine and interests in the wine world and beyond. Our staff know so much about the world they work in that it would be such a shame if they didn’t get a chance to share it. Our blog can be read at the link below, watch this space!We have some fabulous wines and spirits for you in this summer newsletter. If you would like to order anything you see here please give us a ring on 01200 423152 or 422281D. Byrne & Co. SUMMER CASEWHITESThe Underworld Grenache Blanc, Western Cape, South AfricaThere are few finer things than finding a cultivar that not only belongs in modern South Africa but is so PHENOMENALLY tasty – its delicately pithy otherness is hard to describe but searching for the right way to describe it is part of the pleasure.Domaine Les Grands Presbyteres Wild Yeast Muscadet, Loire, FranceMade using only ‘wild yeasts’ which occur naturally on the skins of the freshly picked grapes helps to produce an exquisite intensity of perfume and purity of flavour unmatched by cultured yeasts. Pleasant grapey aromas with a yeasty hint of fresh bread, the flavour is fresh and instantly zingy with mid palate fullness rounded off by a dry but fruity finish.Waterkloof Seriously Cool Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch, South AfricaThis elegant wine displays aromas of stone fruit, white flowers and a hint of honey. Because of the longer alcoholic fermentation the flavours are well integrated on the palette and ends with a crisp acidy. A seriously good wine!Vetiver Rioja Blanco, SpainStylish white rioja from Rioja Baja - bright fruit characters and a judicious touch of oak.An open and appealing nose with lemon and pineapple, and balancing oaky notes. There is good palate weight, with tropical fruit and lightly toasted characters. Well-balanced, with fine, fresh balancing citrus acidity.Vitese Zibibbo, Sicily, ItalyThis crisp, fruity Zibibbo shows lifted notes of succulent white peach combined with soft floral aromatics of orange blossom and jasmine. Bright and perfumed with a zesty citrus finish.ROSELes Cerisiers Cotes du Rhone Rose, FranceA classic salmon pink rosé with delicate perfumed aromas of rosehip syrup, wild berry blossoms and cherries on the nose. Full flavoured, ripe and beautifully balanced with acidity, there’s elegant textured berry fruit on the palate with a twist of raspberry freshness to lift the finish. Deliciously balanced and moreish.REDSLes Coteaux Cotes du Rhone Villages, FranceBrambly fruit underpinned by subtle oaky nuances, lovely sweet spice; warm star anise with a touch of cinnamon. This classic Côtes du Rhône Villages is enriched with specially-selected parcels from the cru vineyards of Séguret, Sablet and Cairanne.Vitese Nero D’Avola, Sicily, ItalyA brilliant, deep red Nero d'Avola with rich, juicy flavours of ripe plum and black cherries interlaced with subtle violet notes. Concentrated on the palate, the deep fruit flavours are backed by soft, ripe tannins and a spicy character on the finish.Vega del Rayo Rioja Vendimia Seleccionada, SpainA characterful, classic Rioja with just a touch of oak.The nose has warm spice, ripe plum and cherry aromas while the palate is richly flavoured and substantial with black fruit and a smoky, spicy character from time in oak. Well-balanced, fruity and approachable.Adobe Reserva Pinot Noir, Colchagua Valley, ChileViolet-red in colour, with a nose that express aromas of berries, sweet vanilla and soft floral notes. On the palate, it is a fruity wine, with velvety texture, medium structure and an intense finish.Domaine Belles Granges Syrah, Collines Rhodaniennes, FranceA savoury Syrah from the Northern Rhône.With aromas of ripe, plump plums, this Syrah is moreish and savoury with hints of tar and an intriguing, meaty finish.Aliança Foral, Douro Valley, PortugalPowerful red from the fabled terraced vineyards of Quinta dos Quatro VentosA nose of ripe plum, blackberry compote and raisin, with hints of liquorice and warm spice. On the palate there are more dark plum flavours, pepper and spice, with red apple acidity and balanced tannins providing structure.£89.99 if collected from the shop or £98 if delivered to any address in the UKFree delivery within a 30 mile radius.D. Byrne & Co. Barbecue CaseWHITESBurlesque Chardonnay, California, USAAll the way from sunny California, cheeky citrus flavours meet more rounded hints of tropical fruit in a fresh and modern interpretation of the much-maligned Chardonnay. This is dry, elegant and refreshing and equally as drinkable with or without foodEl Tesoro Verdejo, Rueda, SpainA great value intensely aromatic Verdejo from Rueda's finest co-operative.Aromas of tropical fruit with hints of citrus. The palate has some passion fruit and grapefruit characters backed by broader stone fruit notes. Well-balanced and textural on the palate with a fresh, bright finish.Casa de Vila Nova, Vinho Verde, PortugalBright citrus aromas with hints of lime. A fresh and zesty white with more citrus characters on the palate, and appealing minerality. A super-fresh spritzy classic that is perfect with barbequed fish.Castanzu Vermentino, Sardinia, ItalyCitrus-fresh, characterful Sardinian white from the local Vermentino grape. This wine has a rich and spicy nose with citrus and ripe tropical fruit, as well as hints of apple. Good palate weight, with minerality. Flavours are initially light and build to a textural honeyed feel with hints of lemon marmalade on the finish.Les Cépages Oubliés Gros Manseng Colombard, Pays des Côtes de Gascogne, FranceFresh, racy and instantly appealing. Fruit salad in a glass!Lovely grassy aromatic nose, balanced by ripe, tropical melon and pink grapefruit, the palate is softer and creamier than you would expect with real depth of flavour finishing with a fresh, zippy lemon tang.ROSEDune Gris de Gris, Sable de Camargue, FranceA delicious, pale and versatile rosé from the sandy Camargue. Delicate and mineral with subtle notes of fleshy peach. The 2016 is an absolute stunner being the very essence of fresh, crunchy red grapes.REDSAliança Bairrada Reserva, Bairrada, PortugalHearty and rustic red from the Bairrada region of Portugal. Aromas of ripe berry and plum. The palate is medium-bodied with fresh raspberry and black fruits, supple tannins, and well-balanced acidity.False Bay Pinotage, Western Cape, South AfricaPerfect Pinotage - youthful, vibrant and fruity, absolutely crying out for smoky barbeque fare.This wine has a bright nose of summer pudding and cream. The palate has a savoury earthiness redolent of its sandy provenance.Ancora Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, ItalyA medium-bodied, spicy red with aromas of plum and juicy fresh cherries. The palate is fresh and bright displaying light red fruit and redcurrant flavours, herbal notes and more red cherry fruit on the finish.Pedrera Monastrell, Jumilla, SpainA full-flavoured unoaked Monastrell - capturing the essence of Jumilla!Appealing aromas of dark red cherry and ripe plum. A bright, fruit-forward style with plush bramble, plum and mocha characters, wrapped up in smooth, rounded tannins.Les Volets Malbec, Vallee de l’Aude, FranceVibrant ruby hues gleam out of the glass. The first notes on the nose are of crushed blueberries which then develop on to reveal an intriguing bitter-sweet character of crème de cassis with a touch of underlying Parma violets. Fine red-fruits fill the mouth; raspberries and a touch of dark chocolate truffle.The Long Little Dog Red, Pays d’Oc, FranceA rich and juicy red made from specially selected grapes harvested in the Languedoc. This is brimming with berry fruit flavours and a hint of spice. Medium bodied and very easy to drink.£79.99 if collected from the shop or £88 if delivered to any address in the UKFree delivery within a 30 mile radius.Special Offers and New Wines Perfect for SummerGavi 'La Battistina', Piemonte, Italy £7.59 White Wine of the MonthHigh quality, single estate Gavi. Aromatic, zesty nose with apple and lime notes. Textured and gently nutty with savoury characters - the wine is juicy, with weighty fruit and a zippy, citrusy, mouthwatering feel - creating a refreshing, yet satisfying finish.Vila Nova Loureiro, Vinho Verde, Portugal £7.59Pronounced citrus aromas lead onto a textural, mineral palate with bright lime characters and a citrus peel tang.Vila Nova Alvarinho, Vinho Verde, Portugal £8.59Bright citrus aromas with hints of lime. A fresh and zesty white with more citrus characters on the palate, and appealing minerality.Quinta do Pinto Vinhas do Lasso Colheita Seleccionada Branco, Lisbon, Portugal £8.99Peach and apricot aromas with citrus and floral notes. The palate has more stone fruit flavours - crisp acidity balancing the lightly creamy texture.Waterkloof Circle of Life White, Stellenbosch, South Africa £10.59A wine that captures the true essence of Waterkloof's viticultural amphitheatre. Appealing and serious on the nose towards the citrusy end of the spectrum with a firm, flinty thing going on as well. The palate retains that citrusy focus which is an absolute delight. This vintage assures this wine's place amongst the very best of South Africa's finest contemporary white blends.Follow the Waterkloof story here and have a look at the fabulous vineyards:Donovan Rall Winterhoek Sauvignon Blanc, WO Ceres Plateau, South Africa £10.99Stone-fruit and green melon with subtle oak nuances on the nose. The palate is mineral and citrus driven with struck match and nutty lees flavours. A fresh almost limey acidity contributes to the wine’s length and gives balance to the creamy texture of the barrel fermented component.Donovan Rall Callender Peak Chardonnay, Ceres Plateau, South Africa £19.59The nose shows notes of vanilla, toast and some exotic pineapple and lemon nuances. Broad, textured and leesy with hints of honeycomb and some yellow citrus. The acidity is piercing due to no malolactic fermentation in this vintage and gives great focus and backbone to a wine as textured as this.Monte Schiavo Sassaiolo Rosso Piceno, Marche, Italy £7.29 Red Wine of the MonthApproachable, flavour-packed red with warm earth and herbs and a meatiness right in the middle! Ripe open nose with cherry jam, red berry fruit characters and savoury notes. The palate is warm and generous, full of rich berry fruit, a touch of spice and a bitter plum twist on the finish. Tannins are gentle and add structure to this substantial, spicy red.Mesoneros de Castilla Roble, Ribera Del Duero, Spain £8.59An authentic Ribera del Duero from a family-run estate with 400 years of winemaking history. Generous and open nose of ripe black fruits with notes of smoky oak, mocha and dark spice. A layered palate of berry fruit, tobacco and more spice has fine tannins, giving a structured and richly-flavoured finish.Castel del Lupo Pinot Nero 'Della Quercia', Lombardia, Italy £8.99Delicious organic, unoaked, Pinot Noir from a small plot of 15 year old vines on the rolling hills of Oltrepo Pavese. A bright and fresh style with open berry fruit aromas and gently floral notes. Lively acidity offsets the ripe wild plum fruit and the palate combines concentration, delicacy and structure.Quinta do Pinto Vinhas do Lasso Colheita Seleccionada Tinto, Lisbon, Portugal £8.99Pronounced aromas of bramble fruit and violet with balsamic notes. More blackberry and raspberry characters on the palate, balanced by ripe plum and a hint of dark chocolate and tobacco. A rich, ripe red with fine tannins, vibrant acidity and good length.Waterkloof Circle of Life Red, Stellenbosch, South Africa £10.59A fantastic example of the huge potential of Cape reds. A hugely compelling wine. Deeply refined single estate expression showing bounds of character, finesse, length, breadth and structure - it really does have it all! A classically styled wine with notes of cassis and cedar. The seamless, elegant palate is encased by fine tannins. It is a wine whose flavours become more complex if the wine is allowed to aerate for a while and that will also increase in complexity with age.Waterkloof Seriously Cool Cinsault, Stellenbosch, South Africa £10.99Leading the march for Cinsaults renaissance in the Cape. Sourced from 40 and 50 year old bush vines on the Heldeberg’s breezy maritime slopes. Here’s a seaside Cinsault of real character defined by the soils from which it drinks. A hardy variety that thrives on the challenges of the Southern Atlantic setting, Seriously Cool Cinsault is a fine and friendly expression of the Cape’s most under-rated variety. Bright fresh cherry fruits on the nose with a savoury, fynbos finesse. On the palate it has a cranberry freshness and texture with taut acidity and tremendous length. Seriously, it does benefit being cooled to the right temperature (10-12 degrees).Rose Wines for Summer Sipping
Casal Mendes Rosé, Bairrada, Vinho Da Mesa, Portugal £5.99A delicious Portuguese classic - serve it cold! Refreshing and fruity rosé, bursting with aromas of strawberries and raspberries. On the palate the wine is soft and fruity with a light spritz. Nice fresh acidity and a touch of sweetness on the finish.Silver Myn Cabernet Franc Rosé, Banghoek, South Africa £6.59Delightfully pale varietal rosé. This is 100% Cabernet Franc rose from the slopes of Stellen-bosch's Simonsburg Mountain. Zorgvliet's focus is entirely Bordelaise so a Cab Franc rose is a natural fit and a delightfully different product within their South African portfolio. Pale onion skin colour with bright, crunchy red cherry fruit flavours and a full, textural finish.A bright, punchy, characterful rosé. A vibrant cherry and red berry scented rosé, with bright summer pudding flavours. Fruity and floral with a fresh, balanced palate of berries and cream - balanced by juicy acidity.Rimo de Rimauresq Côtes de Provence Rosé, France £9.59Stylish Provence rosé! Rimo is more aromatic than Rimauresq's domaine wines, but still with hallmark Provence restraint and flavours of spiced red fruit and herbs.Chateau de Campuget, 1753 Rose Syrah Vermentino, Costières de Nîmes, France £10.99A classic rose petal colour, this elegant, dry rosé shows aromatic notes of grapefruit and delicate citrus hints, through to a refreshing palate of red berry fruits with a lifted finish.Domaine Fiumicicoli Rosé, Corse Sartène, Corsica, France £11.99A softer style of rosé - less tangy and easier drinking than Provence. Made from Sciacarello, atraditional Corsican grape variety, this rose petal pink coloured softer style rosé emanates exoticcharacters. With a clean, fresh, earthy and aromatic nose of sweet creamy fruit, these charactersfollow through to a palate which has a hint of strawberry mousse and ripe fruit flavours. It is wellbalanced with some complexity, good length and structure.Sparkling WinesFresita, Chile £7.99The unique combination of the best sparkling wine with carefully selected strawberries, created through the Charmat method to deliver a natural, balanced and elegant taste that isn’t overly sweet.Le Dolci Colline Rosé Spumante Brut, Italy £7.99Declassified Prosecco with 5% Brachetto juice added to give a delicate pink fizz with light berry fruit flavours. Strawberry and raspberry aromas and soft berry characters on the palate. Fresh acidity balanced by zesty, cherry notes makes this an easy and appealing fizz.Aliança Tinto Bruto Sparkling Red, Bairrada, Portugal £8.99Intriguing sparkling Portuguese red from the Bairrada region. Black fruit, cherry and light mocha aromas lead on to a palate with a fresh and persistent mousse. Red berry flavours, a hint of clove, and balancing acidity, all lead to a dry finish.A tiny production of Cap Classique - traditionally produced fizz from the Cape. A blend of the excellent 2013 and ‘14 vintages, this is 100% Chardonnay grown on the slopes of the Simons-berg. Entirely aged in third fill French oak demi-muids, then aged in the bottle for a year prior to release. It has a nose of proving sour dough with a fine bead on the palate that releases notes of fresh almonds, warm sand and apricot kernel.Domaine J.Laurens, Blanquette de Limoux 'Le Moulin', Languedoc, France £10.99Exceptionally good wine from the (arguably) original home of fizz. This bone-dry blanquette has a tight and finely textured mousse. It shows great typicity with apple blossoms and honey on the nose with a bright, crisp and delicately nutty palate.Domaine J.Laurens, Crémant de Limoux 'La Rose No.7', Languedoc, France £13.59Don't let the baby pink fool you - this is a seriously good rosé! This beautifully balanced wine shows delicate soft stone fruit aromas, nuances of caramel and cream with a nice biscuity finish.
Gins of the MonthWe now have more than 350 gins in store, check out our website HERE for details of all we stock, but in the meantime here are our gins of the month.Based on an old Bombay recipe, handwritten on a fragment of paper dated 17 July 1947. Kept as a family secret for over 66 years, it only resurfaced in 2013 when distilling began. Launched in 2014 having fine-tuned the recipe, perfecting its balance of botanicals and tweaking it to the contemporary palate. The result is a spectacularly smooth, refreshing and flavoursome gin.Fresh, light and bold flavours of citrus and juniper give way to intense warming spice of cardamom, coriander seed and clove. A background sweetness from anise and fennel leads to a crisp, dry and exceptionally smooth finish.Serve over ice, with tonic and a slice of pink grapefruit.Pickering’s Original 1947, Edinburgh £28.99This edition is made precisely to the original recipe, as it was written down at Mount Mary, Bombay, in 1947. Here the botanical mix includes cinnamon, which adds a decidedly warming and spicy kick to the spirit.Spicier, sweeter and more intense, it’s a decadent trip back to the last days of the Raj. Cardamom, coriander, clove and cinnamon spice lead to a crisp, refreshing and long finish.Serve over ice, with tonic and a slice of orange.Malt of the MonthTomintoul Tlàth £27.29Quintessentially Speyside. Golden Straw in colour. Light, with some sweet toffee and vanilla and hints of mint leaf and citrus peel. On the palate it is light and creamy. Lively white pepper and some oak-driven spiciness dance on the tongue with background layers of nutmeg and toasted vanilla. Spicy with notes of shortbread and fresh mint.
- SPRING NEWSLETTER 2017In this newsletter:The new Spring CaseOur ever popular Everyday CaseWines of the monthNew Tuscan Estate winesSpecial offers on Chilean redsSome new wines and old favouritesSunday Times Magazine recommendationsMalt whisky of the month and offersGin of the monthBurgundy En PrimeursD. Byrne & Co. Spring CaseWHITESSileni Cellar Selection Pinot Gris, Hawkes BayA lovely balance between fleshy fruit, aromatics & delicate spice. Aromas of yellow peach & nectarine with some musky floral & cinnamon spice notes. The palate is rich & rounded with juicy nectarine characters providing a feel of real fleshiness.Bodegas Borsao Seleccion Blanco, Campo de Borja100% indigenous, characterful, Macabeo from this respected Campo de Borja producer.This wine shows stone fruit and limey citrus aromas. The palate mirrors the nose with more nectarine and apple characters, ripe citrus and a creamy mouthfeel - backed by subtle and well integrated oak.The Long Little Dog Blanc, Pays d’OcUnderstated with fresh lemon and floral notes, it has a fantastic palate weight with more citrus as well as apricot and a savoury, saline character very much true to its place. The finish is youthful and fresh with good acidity.Chateau L’Ermitage Tradition Blanc, Costieres de NimesAromas of orange blossom & a stony, flinty quality. The Viognier & Grenache Blanc add a natural richness of peach & ripe nectarine flavours which are balanced by the fresh grapefruit & citrus characters from the Roussanne. A classic white from the Rhone.Adobe Reserva Organic Gewurztraminer, Rapel ValleyThe nose has jasmine tea notes with white pepper held together by a fine sandy structure. On the palate there are bright floral and mineral nuances with a lingeringly spicy, ginger character. Full and just off-dry, this wine may be different but it is absolutely delicious with spicy Asian foods.REDSKaiken Reserve Malbec, MendozaThis is a lovely, modern and fruit driven Malbec.Deep purple in colour. Ripe fruit aromas of strawberries and cherries are nicely complemented with spicy notes and menthol aromas. On the palate, this wine displays extraordinary balance, freshness and soft tannins.Magpie Estate Wishbone Shiraz Grenache, Barossa ValleyWarm plum and raspberry fruit on the nose with hints of rocky earth, spice and violets. Lovely and ripe, medium to full bodied with juicy plum and raspberry on the palate. It’s a generous juicy mouthful with bags of fruit and spice.Zorgvliet Silver Myn Argentum, BanghoekThis blend from the Bordelaise specialists of Banghoek Valley is brim full of dark, crunchy Cabernet-family fruit with dark curranty corners. The palate finishes long, textural with a touch of hoisin sauce. A fine and nicely structured wine.Chateau L’Ermitage Tradition Rouge, Costieres de NimesA beefy wine that is dark and distinctive with lots of red ripe fruit, sweet and savoury characters and roasted coffee flavours. Warm, southern, spicy fruit that is warming and appealing yet still rustic.Savoir-Fraire d’Autrefois Mourvedre, Pays d’OcAn intriguing nose of tobacco, cloves and leather is followed by a luxuriant yet sleek and supple palate. Dark cherries and chocolate are interwoven with fine French oak and supported by firm tannins.Conviviale Primitivo, SalentoA warm, richly flavoured red with aromas of plums, dried fruits & sweet spices. On the palate it is generous with impressive concentration of ripe plum & black cherry fruit & hints of dried figs -all balanced by a silky smooth mouthfeel & fresh acidity.Fuenteseca Organic Bobal Cabernet, Utiel-RequenaBright, juicy fruit aromas with appealing cassis and cherry characters. The palate has a silky texture with ripe, soft, plum and herbal notes. The mouthfeel is generous and rounded with gentle tannins and an appealing finish.£89.99 If collected from the shop and £98 if delivered anywhere in mainland UK.Free delivery within a 30 mile radiusEveryday CaseWHITESMurviedro Fauno Viura/Sauvignon Blanc, ValenciaMedal-winning and fantastically fruity Viura Sauvignon Blanc blend from sunny Valencia.
Fresh peach and citrus aromas follow onto the bright and fresh palate. Here ripe stone fruit and gooseberry notes combine with mineral characters to add texture.Sanvigilio Pinot Grigio, PaviaShows delicate, yet lifted, floral and fruity aromas on the nose. Crisp and fresh on the palate with a ripe lemon character, the wine has a good mouthfeel and clean finish. Very light and easy drinking.Il Meridione Grillo, SiciliaA honeyed, floral and spicy nose with hints of ginger and stone fruit. Ripe, sun-dried citrus characters on the palate with savoury notes and a creamy texture. Fresh balancing acidity on the lightly nutty finish.Soldiers Block Chardonnay, VictoriaPure elegance from the Southern Ocean. An elegant and easy drinking wine. This vibrant Chardonnay exhibits lifted fruit character, bright tangerine fleshiness, textural mouth-feel, a bright palate and a long and foodie finish.Bellefontaine Sauvignon Blanc, Pays d’OcClassic Sauvignon Blanc nose with herbaceous notes, yet with underlying ripeness. Pretty elderflower aromas balanced with zesty grapefruit notes. Concentrated fruit and good acidity make this a very satisfying drop!REDSMurviedro Fauno GSM, ValenciaAppealing, award-winning, juicy Grenache Syrah Monastrell blend from Valencia
Bright nose with plums and blackberries. The palate is characterful with riper black fruit, supple tannins and fresh, juicy acidity. Finishing with a hint of pepper and spice.
Vega Piedra Tinto, RiojaGreat value classic House Rioja from Bodegas Carlos Serres in Haro.
Approachable, appealing and juicy in style with lifted red berry fruit and hints of spice. The palate is bright with bramble and cherry fruit and gently rounded tannins. Nicely-balanced with a long finish.Conviviale Montepulciano, AbruzzoAn intense wine with cherry, ripe plum fruit aromas and warm, earthy spice. The palate is densely packed with Morello cherry, cassis and bramble fruit flavours. Tannins are ripe, giving structure to a substantial wine with a fresh sappy finish.Les Oliviers Grenache, Pays d’OcSupple yet with underlying structure, it is quite lifted and vibrant on the nose moving on to a full and intense palate. A fresh and exciting wine that is lively and exuberant. Packed full of ripe, crunchy red berry fruit backed up with a hint of liquorice and touch of spice. Lovely.Meerestein Shiraz/Mourvedre, SwartlandA perfumed nose with a delicious bright raspberry and crushed blackcurrant character and an almost savoury finish.Tierra Alta Pinot Noir, Central ValleyQuite simply the best value Pinot Noir we have come across.
A delicate and elegant wine (as all good Pinot should be) showing ripe fruit flavours of plums and wild strawberries, balanced with subtle smoky notes and a deliciously lingering finish.Soldiers Block Malbec, VictoriaClassically textured, violet in hue with an exotically perfumed nose. A great wine to serve with rich and flavoursome foods.
£65.99 if collected from the shop or £74 if delivered to any address in the UKFree delivery within a 30 mile radiusWines of the month2015 Wishbone Shiraz Grenache Barossa Valley Australia £7.99Warm plum and raspberry fruit on the nose with hints of rocky earth, spice and violets. Lovely and ripe, medium to full with more juicy plum and raspberry on the palate, black cherry and a lick of creamy oak.2016 Sileni Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough New Zealand £7.99Reminds you of what made Marlborough Sauvignon famous, showing ripe tropical and gooseberry fruit flavours with a zingy finish and impeccable balance. Crisp yet full flavoured with a long finish.Tuscan Estate WinesAzienda Uggiano was established in the early 1970s, eventually settling at San Vincenzo a Torri near the river Pesa - a beautiful site in the Tuscan countryside amongst monastries and villas - in 1976.These new additions to our list represent real value for money:Montalcino £21.99Fantastic quality entry level Brunello. Forest fruits, violets, plum and sweet spice characters with toasty oak.2012 Uggiano Chianti Riserva ‘Fagiano’ £10.59The estates flagship barrique aged Riserva. Displaying black cherry, vanilla, berry and plum. Supple and long.2013 Uggiano Chianti Classico Riserva £8.99Great value, classic Chianti Riserva. Plum and wild cherry fruit with supple tannins.2015 Uggiano Chianti Colli Fiorentini £6.99Bitter cherry, vibrant spice and ripe black fruits.2015 Uggiano Prestige Chianti £6.59Bargain price Chianti with perfumed crunchy red cherry fruit.Special offers on Caliterra Chilean Reds2014 Caliterra Tributo ‘Single Vineyard’ Malbec, Colchagua Valley £8.99The Malbec grape, synonymous with Argentina, also flourishes on the western slopes of the Andes. Intense fruit, subtle oak and smooth tannins make this a fabulous winter warmer.2016 Caliterra DSTNTO, Colchagua Valley £8.99Just as the name suggests, this wine is distinct and unique. One of the first wines in Chile to be made by carbonic maceration, it is deep in colour, intensely aromatic and fruity.2014 Caliterra Edicion Limitada ‘A’, Colchagua Valley £11.99A harmonious pairing of the two signature grapes of South America; the spicy and savoury Carmenere expertly blended with the rich and fruity Malbec.Some new wines and a few old favourites2015 Burlesque Chardonnay, California, USA £6.59Bright and aromatic with clean citrus notes, layered with riper, tropical fruits. A pure, fruit driven expression. Mango and pineapple combine with green apple and lemon which is not masked by ugly oak.2016 Adobe Reserva Gewurztraminer, Valle del Rapel, Chile £6.99Jasmine and tea notes with white pepper on the nose. Bright floral and mineral nuances with a lingeringly spicy, ginger and exotic finish. Hugely, broadly, appealing and accessible Gewurz.2015 Monte Schiavo Coste del Molino Verdicchio Classico, Marche, Italy £7.59Stunning. 100% Verdicchio from the dynamic Monte Schiavo's 'Coste del Molino' vineyards. A stylish and concentrated Verdicchio with fresh intense aromas of grapefruit and lime, as well as honeyed stonefruit. The palate is fresh and fruity; very approachable, with apple, pear and ripe stone fruit. A mouthfilling minerality adds to the complexity and palate weight.2015 Torre Terza Vernaccia di San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy £7.99Tenute Toscane's Torre Terza estate produces limited quantity, but good quality wines - this Vernaccia is no exception. A dry, savoury white with apple and citrus aromas and a gently nutty, almond character. It has full, broad flavours typical of Vernaccia on the mid palate, leading to a dry, slightly spicy finish.2015 La Val Orballo Albariño, Rias Baixas, Spain £8.99Aromas of stone fruit, honey, and floral notes mingling with wild herbs, sweeter mandarin skin and apple. Generous and textural on the palate with hints of ripe gala melon, salinity, and fresh citrus.2016 Amuata Absoluto Torrontes, Salta, Argentina £8.99Forget those awful soapy Torrontes you’ve tasted in the past. Alsatian in style, with lovely Eastern nuances of rose-petal, lemongrass and ginger. Rich and aromatic, fresh and beautifully structured.2014 Ca N'Estruc Idoia Blanc, Catalunya, Spain £12.99Intriguing Spanish white blend from vineyards just a stone's throw from Barcelona. Complex and layered with aromas of tropical fruit and brioche . The palate is opulent with savoury, nutty characters balanced by apricot and a touch of vanilla. Weighty with mineral complexity and bright citrus acidity on the finish.2013 Savoir-Faire d’Autrefois Mourvedre, Pays d’Oc, France £7.99Mourvedre currently enjoying a rebirth, possibly due to the quality and reasonably priced Monastrells coming from southern Spain. This example from southern France is intriguing, appealing and subtle. Nose of cloves and leather, followed by a complex mix of dark cherries chocolate and subtle French oak.2015 Kaiken Malbec Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina £7.99Another great value red made by the Montes family from over the Andes in Chile. The wine displays hints of strawberry, spice and mint on the nose, with a lovely soft round texture and fruit character so typical of this variety in Argentina.2015 Kaiken Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina £7.99Cracking value red that displays real varietal character. Typical blackcurrant fruit and spice, with subtle hints of tobacco leaf, leading to a complex and spicy finish.2014 Dandelion Vineyards Lionheart of the Barossa Shiraz Australia, £10.99Beautiful example of what well-made Barossa Shiraz has to offer, and a favourite of ours for quite some time. A deep red with hints of purple and a nose of blueberries, spice and dark chocolate. Palate delivers blackberry and plum fruit with spice and hints of chocolate. Deliciously long.2015 Dandelion Vineyards Menagerie of the Barossa Grenache/Shiraz/Mataro, Australia £12.99Chateauneuf style blend from the Barossa with Grenache making up 80% of the mix. Red fruits and spice on the nose, while the palate offers a rich texture of red fruits, soft tannins and subtle oak.2013 Borsao Zarihs Syrah, Campo de Borja, Spain £13.99A powerful high altitude Syrah from Spain. Ripe aromas of black fruits, blackcurrant pastilles and a hint of coffee and vanilla. The palate has wild blackberries, toasty oak and black pepper notes - all balanced by fresh acidity and a touch of dark chocolate.2012 Bodegas Hispano+SuizasBassus 'Finca Casilla Herrera', Utiel Requena, Spain £19.99A deep, dark and brooding blend from eastern Spain. Ripe red fruit aromas with toasty vanilla and balsamic notes. The palate is full and rich with more red berry and dense black fruit flavours. Poised and well structured with balancing acidity, light smoky notes and a long finish.2009 Il Faggeto Pietranera Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva, Tuscany, Italy £20.69A powerful, rich and elegant Tuscan wine. Intense and ripe nose with opulent plum and cherry fruit. The palate is powerful and richly-flavoured, with ripe black fruit flavours backed by pepper and spice. This evolves to spicy oak and liquorice - all followed by a firm, dry finish with ample ripe tannins.Sunday Times Magazine recommendationsLes Six Cairanne Cotes du Rhone Villages £11.89In an appellation often dominated by just two varieties, ‘Les Six’ is a new style ofCairanne which, due to the ancient varieties of Carignan Noir (10%), Cinsault (10%)and Counoise (10%) included in the assemblage, is also a Cairanne whose heartholds dear the traditions of yesteryear. Les Six is all about elegance and theexpression of six different grape varieties; soft red fruits gently seasoned with a touchof oak. This wine has a natural affinity with herby lamb dishes but would be superb with most grilled meats and roasted vegetable dishes.‘Chateau L’Ermitage Cuvee Sainte-Cecile Rouge’ £11.69This is a warm, herbal-scented southern French wine. Here the cautious, less-is-more approach to oak reveals itself in a wine which is immediately soft and developed, yet without overt oaky tones.Château l'Ermitage was founded in the XIth Century by the hermits of Sainte Cécile d'Estagel Abbay. It is situated on the pilgrimage route of Santiago de Compostella. The estate's total surface covers 80 hectares of sunny south facing vineyards, which benefit from the airy Mediterranean climate. The domain's owners for the past 30 years have been Michel and Jérôme Castillon. The work they accomplish allows the grape to breathe out and the use of oak barrels for ageing is restricted as much as possible.‘Domaine La Haute Marone Sablet Cotes du Rhone Villages’ £8.99A hugely approachable wine, brimming with fruit compôte and olive tapenade flavours, this is a powerful wine with savoury complexity. The oak ageing has produced a smooth, supple finish.Food recommendations for this would include juicy pink lamb, grilled red meat or succulent duck…..and of course, a fantastic cheese board.2015 Burgundy En PrimeursWe will shortly be offering the brilliant 2015 Burgundy En Primeur. If this is of interest to you, please reply to this email with BURGUNDY EN PRIMEUR in the subject line and we will forward you a list in due course.Malt of the MonthGlenfarclas 10 Year Old - Speyside £29.99Delicately light, with a mouth-watering combination of maltiness, smokiness and sherry sweetness. Hints of dried fruit, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves. Long, smooth and spicy finish.Highly RecommendedThe Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve - Speyside £27.99Fruity, then sweet, with toffee, a touch of anise, then into milk chocolate flakes, banoffee pie and apple turnovers. The finish has creamy toffee to the fore, now a little oak and sweet barley sugar warmth too. Milk chocolate raisins linger.Aberlour 12 Year Old – Speyside £29.99Heavily sherried character and fruity aromas balanced with a rich chocolate, toffee cinnamon and ginger spiciness. Warming and lingering finish. Sweet and very slightly spicy.Highland Park 12 Year Old – Orkney £27.99A uniquely smooth, balanced single malt, with a rich full flavour and gentle smoky finish.Starts off with syrup sweetness, quickly moving on to sour and creamy wood, with more tropical chews, pineapple and smoked orange rind. Smoky wood on the finish, with malt syrup, green pine cones and woody spice.Gin Of The MonthBecketts - Kingston-upon-Thames £29.99A small batch London dry gin distilled and bottled in London using the finest ingredients, most notably handpicked English juniper berries from Box Hill in Surrey and mint from the riverside at Kingston-upon-Thames. The result is a warm, aromatic and bittersweet character with the signature cool finish, an exquisite taste and wonderfully smooth.Sherry RecommendationFernando de Castilla Classic Oloroso £11.29Bring some Spanish warmth to the cold winter’s evenings with this classic, rich, Oloroso sherry.A beautiful mahogany colour. Aromatic and dry with flavours of nuts and orange, with a very long aftertaste.For orders or enquiries about any of the cases or wines in this newsletter, please contact us by phone at the shop on 01200 423152 or 01200 422281, thank you.
- Christmas Newsletter 2016In this issue:Specially selected wines for ChristmasSpirit recommendations galore: whiskies, gins, brandies and many othersA selection of Port offersAutumn is finally segueing into winter at D. Byrne & Co. and we have had our tasting glasses out to choose the wines for our Christmas cases.We sent you our fabulous Christmas cases in our previous newsletter, but just in case you missed it the link is hereCHRISTMAS CASESChristmas Opening TimesWe are open seven days a week in the run up to Christmas8.30am to 6pm Monday to FridayOpen late until 8.00pm on Thursday and Friday8.00am to 6.00pm on Saturday10.00am to 4.00pm on SundayGift VouchersWe have gift vouchers which can be made out to any amount you choose and can be posted on your behalf to anywhere in the UK.For orders or enquiries about any of the cases or wines in this newsletter, please contact us by phone at the shop on 01200 423152 or 01200 422281,thank you.Recommended Wines For ChristmasAn absolute steal, this is a wonderfully elegant, precise Champagne from all Grand Cru vineyards in Ay.2015 Domaine de Vedilhan Serica Viognier £7.99Our new White Wine of the Year. Elaborately textured and full-flavoured with rich stone fruits and lightly tannic herbs.2014 Tabali Reserva Especial Chardonnay £8.59Such great value. Award winning 1er Cru Burgundy style at half the price – delicious!2015 Sileni The Straights Sauvignon Blanc £10.99A Marlborough classic, this over delivers on both flavour and finesse. Absolutely delicious with fish dishes.2015 Feudo Maccari Grillo £8.99A fresh, lightly floral dry white with savoury, nutty notes.2014/15 Domaine de la Motte Chablis £10.59Classic Chablis with real texture and flavour enhanced by around 10% barrel aged wine in the blend, yet still steely fresh on the finish.2014 Domaine Feuillat-Juillot Montagny 1er Cru £15.99A fine and elegant white Burgundy, and great value for money.2011 Turkheim Grand Cru Brand Gewurztraminer £12.99An amazing price for Grand Cru Alsace. Classic yet delicate fragrance of rose-petals, lychee and warm spice with rich, powerful complex fruit yet a fine structure and balance.2012 Naiadas £14.99A hedonistic barrel aged Verdejo with spice, fennel and creamy notes. From pre-phylloxera bush vines, this is one of Spain’s most celebrated white wines.Our new Red Wine Of The Year, and it’s an absolute cracker. Without doubt this is the finest £7.99 red wine in the UK, taste it and see for yourself.2014 Montresor Valpolicella Ripasso ‘Capitel della Crosara’ £9.99A generous fruity Ripasso with fresh Morello cherry and ripe plum fruit flavours backed by soft and spicy vanilla notes. A great price for our most popular Valpolicella.2013 Boutinot La Cote Sauvage Cairanne £9.99Fill your boots here, less than £10 for one of the southern Rhone’s finest Crus.2013 Chateau Mayne Vieil Fronsac £9.99This rich and plummy Fronsac is the perfect wine for those looking for a generous and accessible claret for Christmas.2013 Cline Cellars Nancy’s Vines Zinfandel £10.99Wonderful, fat strawberry fruit flavours with coffee and chocolate characters. This is unashamedly fruit forward and powerful, perfect with turkey and all the trimmings.2010 Contino Reserva Rioja £14.99A Rioja legend from a legendary vintage, really fine wine and a saving of £7 a bottle.2013 Montresor Amarone Satinata £18.99Hints of coffee and chocolate on the nose with ripe crushed berry, bitter cherry and sweet plummy fruit on the palate. Rich and warming yet fresh and well-balanced, lovely.2013 San Marzano 62 Anniversario Primitivo Riserva £19.99The follow up vintage of our biggest selling wine of Christmas 2015. A huge, flamboyant wine that continues to impress.2007 Chateau Sociando Mallet Haut Medoc £28.99A great price for what is consistently the finest of all the Haut Medocs. The 2007 is perfectly mature and drinking beautifully, this is very fine.Spirit recommendationsWhisky OffersSome fantastic prices on our whiskies for this Christmas.GLEN SCOTIA Double Cask Campbeltown £28.59Opens with fudge and a little dusting of powdered sugar. Powerful, oily and a touch herbaceous with some German brandy character. Sherried notes come through more on the finish.Highland Single MaltsOLD PULTENEY 12 Year Old Highland£23.99Dry, medium-bodied and smooth, redolent of honey and cream, faintly salty with a slight spicy note and a sweet long-lasting finish.GLENCADAM Origin 1825 Highland£24.99Flavours of banana, pineapple, pear and boiled sweets merge with a delicious mix of soft spice from Sherry casks. Floral, creamy finish with subtle sweetness.GLENGOYNE 10 Year Old Highland£24.99Smooth, fruity and incredibly moreish. Fresh green apples, toffee and a hint of nuttiness. This is the taste of distilling slower than anyone else in Scotland, of barley they dry by air and hand-selected sherry casks.THE ARDMORE Legacy Lightly Peated Highland£25.99Light, silky peat-smoke and creamy vanilla, balanced with sweet honey and spice.GLENMORANGIE 10 Year Old Highland£27.99Firstly vanilla is detected on the tongue, before it ripples along the palate bringing a burst of flowery fruitiness. Clean and sweet aftertaste with hints of orange and peach.TULLIBARDINE Sovereign Highland£28.99A lovely balanced whisky exhibiting barley, pear drops and creamy chocolate notes which develop on the palate with a lingering finish.GLENDRONACH 12 Year Old Highland£33.99Rich, creamy, silky-smooth. Warm, rich oak and sherry sweetness, full mouth feel, raisins, soft fruits and a touch of spice. Long, full and firm finish with slight nuttiness.Island Single MaltsARRAN Original Arran £25.99On the nose complex and pungent, slightly salty and buttery, savoury and lightly peated. Soft entry and very easy on the taste with flavours of the nose above.HIGHLAND PARK 12 Year old Orkney £27.99A uniquely smooth, balanced single malt, with a rich full flavour and gentle smokey finish. Beginning with syrup sweetness, it quickly moves on to sour and creamy wood, with more tropical chews, pineapple and smoked orange rind. Smoky wood on the finish, with malt syrup, green pine cones and woody spice.SCAPA Skiren Orkney £29.99Aromas of runny honey and fresh cream. Hints of apple and a touch of anise. Continued honey warmth and richness. Sparks of juicy pear and lemon peel. Touches of oak develop further on, bringing some balancing spice.Islay Single MaltsTHE ILEACH Islay £22.99Fantastic value, you’ll struggle to find an Islay malt at this price! Strong yet gentle, warm yet mellow, but with a maturity beyond its years. Robustly peaty, with that unmistakeable breath of the seashore.BUNNAHABHAIN 12 Year Old Islay £29.99Syrupy in texture with vanilla and a light smokiness, more woody than peaty. Water brings out more sweet creamy vanilla and some perfume from the wood, as well as some sticky glacé cherry. Finish is dry with woody spice.LAPHROAIG 10 Year Old Islay £33.99Really smoky and iodine rich. This has to be one of Scotland's most characterful drams. Laphroaig are known for their medicinal malts, and the classic 10 year old is no exception.KILCHOMAN Machir Bay Islay £34.99The distillers use whisky which has been matured in ex-bourbon barrels and Oloroso Sherry butts, resulting in a well-balanced flavour profile, with highlights of vanilla biscuits, light fruit and wafts of warm peat smoke. A top expression from Islay's farm distillery.Crackling peat, black pepper and sizzling cinnamon-spiced toffee. A wave of brine infused with buttermilk and currants. Smoke wells up bringing tasted marshmallows while espresso and tarry smoke develop.Lowland Single MaltAUCHENTOSHAN American Oak Lowland£24.99Bounty bars, citrus peels and peaches. A little bit buttery, with golden barley and oak spice developing on the mid palate. Lasting notes of grapefruit and toffee pennies.Speyside Single MaltsSPEYBURN Bradan Orach Speyside£17.49Outstanding price for Single Malt Whisky. On the nose it reveals green apples, honey, lemon and floral vanilla spices. It’s a wonderfully balanced, full-bodied whisky, with a long lasting finish.TOMINTOUL Tlath Speyside£24.99Light and creamy. Lively white pepper and some oak-driven spiciness dance on the tongue with background layers of nutmeg and toasted vanilla. Spicy with notes of shortbread and fresh mint.AN CNOC 12 Year Old Speyside£25.99Soft, very aromatic nose with a hint of honey and lemon in the foreground. Sweet to start with an appetising fruitiness and a long smooth finish. A malt for every occasion.GLENFARCLAS 10 Year Old Speyside£26.99Delicately light, with a mouth-watering combination of maltiness, smokiness and sherry sweetness. Hints of dried fruit, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves. Long, smooth and spicy finish.TAMDHU 10 Year Old Speyside£26.99Bursting with fruit and spice – gently yielding to toffee and the richness of sherry oak. Fruit and vanilla linger on the finish, becoming pleasantly drying with the merest wisp of peat smoke.THE GLENLIVET Founder’s Reserve Speyside£27.99Fruity, then sweet, with toffee, a touch of anise, then into milk chocolate flakes, banoffee pie and apple turnovers. Finish has creamy toffee to the fore now, a little oak and sweet barley sugar warmth too. Milk chocolate raisins linger.BENROMACH 10 Year Old Speyside£27.99Delicious Forest Fruits and creamy malt. A wisp of smoke and lingering luscious Sherry notes. Mouthwateringly bittersweet. Ginger, dry sherry, almost hoppy after a while.ABERLOUR 12 Year Old Speyside£29.99Heavily sherried character and fruity aromas balanced with a rich chocolate, toffee cinnamon and ginger spiciness. Warming and lingering finish. Sweet and very slightly spicy.OLD BALLANTRUAN The ‘Peated Malt’ Speyside£29.99Heathery smoke balanced with subtle floral aromas. Gentle ‘peat-reek’ flavours with hints of citrus tones and malty nuttiness. Lingering smoke and peat with a touch of malted barley sweetness. Bottled at 50%.BALVENIE 12 Year Old Doublewood Speyside£31.59Aromas of sweet fruit and Oloroso sherry notes, layered with honey and vanilla. Smooth and mellow with beautifully combined flavours ~ nutty sweetness, cinnamon spiciness and a delicately proportioned layer of sherry.GLENFARCLAS 15 Year Old Speyside£39.99Rich golden amber colour. Very complex, sherried nose with light butterscotch aromas and a hint of dried fruit. The palate is very full bodied with super balance of sherried sweetness, malty tones and subtle peat flavours. Long lasting finish, glorious sherry flavours, fairly sweet with gentle smokiness. This is a great whisky drinker’s whiskyBlended MaltsBLAIRMHOR 8 Year Old Blended Malt£16.99Well worth a try! On the nose it is full-bodied, sweet and spicy revealing floral and fragrant overtones complemented with honey and vanilla. Sweet and toffee-like with a beautiful smooth, long-lasting finish.MONKEY SHOULDER Blended Malt£22.99A superb blended malt whisky from William Grant, made with single malts from three famous Speyside distilleries. The result is a smooth, creamy, supple and very malty Scotch.Rest of the World WhiskiesTULLAMORE DEW Blended Irish Blend£16.99The legendary triple distilled Irish Whiskey. Early fresh fruit leads to a definite light spice followed by some toasted wood which evolves into a delicious vanilla sweetness.BLACK BUSH Deluxe Irish Blend£21.59A great blend from Bushmills, made up mostly of malt whiskey aged for 11 years in sherry casks before blending. Very soft and fruity on the palate with barley and biscuits on the finish.TEELING Single Malt Irish Single Malt £37.59Made from 100% Malted Barley from a range of different ages including Malt whiskey distilled in 1991. Vibrant with notes of melon, figs, toffee and lemon on the nose. A balanced mix of dry fruits, citrus, vanilla, spice and cloves. Long finish with sweetness in harmony with dry tannins from the wood.NIKKA Blended Japanese Blend £27.99Nikka Blended Whisky offers an expression in the typical Japanese style. Extremely smooth and balanced, it has established itself as the most accessible of the Nikka blends. Rich mouthfeel, with pleasing candied orange peel, floral notes and just a hint of sweet spice. Well balanced and very drinkable.PAUL JOHN Edited Indian Single Malt£29.99For anyone who enjoys Islay whisky this is really worth a try. Peated Indian single malt whisky from John Distilleries that has great maturity for quite a young whisky. Toasted cereal, big barley and honey notes, Hob Nobs! Slightly vegetal peatiness, lemon and seaweed. Some beach bonfire but the peat isn't overpowering.MACKMYRA Bruks Swedish Single Malt£37.99Possibly the most surprising whisky I’ve tried this year. Fresh, delicate fruit aromas with vanilla pods. Pine nuts, pine needles, raspberry bushes and mixed peels. Subtle notes of Ryvita and Sesame Snaps. Subtle citrus fruit on the palate with light pear drops and crispy green apples. Delicate spiciness coming with a fine toffee and aniseed, ginger and sweet almond. A fine-light smoke is embedded in a whiff of spicy-peppery-feel: there but not there. Finishing with spicy oak and apple pie whilst remaining light and nimble.Gin RecommendationsCAORUNN Small Batch Scotland £23.99A unique infusion of 5 Celtic and 6 traditional botanicals, the most unusual being Blush Apple. Clean, crisp, sweet and aromatic, with a long lasting, refreshing and slightly drying finish.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and a slice of red apple.PUERTO DE INDIAS Strawberry Seville £24.99Rapidly becoming a very popular style of gin. It's definitely the strawberries that make this gin so special. But they're not just any strawberries. Puerto de Indias uses strawberries from the region of Huelva in Andalusia, which are supposed to be the best of their kind in Europe.Serving suggestion: Tonic water/pink lemonade and diced strawberries.TWO BIRDS London Dry Leicestershire £26.99The countryside spirit. A classic London Dry gin full of juniper flavour and distilled with 4 other botanicals (orris root, coriander, citrus and one unknown). Smooth and delicate, with a slight mineral quality.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and a slice of cucumber.TANN’S Premium Barcelona £27.99Distinguished by a predominant juniper taste, macerations of rose petals and coriander and a carefully selected grain alcohol. A later triple infusion of juniper berries, coriander, cucumber, rose petals, cardamom, mandarin peel, orange blossom, lemon peel, liquorice and raspberry contribute to its subtleties in mouth and nose.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and diced strawberries.BATCH Premium Burnley £29.99Lancashire’s finest handcrafted, micro-distillery gin. An adventurous blend of distinctive botanicals enhanced by frankincense and myrrh which make it sublimely rich, yet subtly spicy.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and either crushed raspberries and slice of lime or orange peel (brings out more spiciness).FOUR PILLARS Rare Dry Gin Yarra Valley £29.99A perfect, classic gin that would fascinate and delight even the most hardened gin fanatic. Whole oranges are used, which is unusual, but it supports the spicier botanicals like cardamom. Cinnamon and star anise add rich fruitcake tones. Tasmanian pepperberry leaf provides warmth rather than heat, and lemon myrtle is a beautiful alternative to lemon peel. A spicy gin but with great citrus.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and slice of pink grapefruit.SACRED London Dry London £29.99A creamy aromatic gin with a bouquet of juniper berries, fresh cut orange, lime & lemon combined with cardamom, angelica and enhanced by distilled frankincense (Boswellia Sacra) from which the name Sacred is derived.Serving suggestion: Tonic water with slice of pink grapefruit and sprig of rosemary or perfect for a Martini.WARNER EDWARDS Harrington Dry Northamptonshire£29.99Lovingly distilled in their copper still ‘Curiosity’. They take grain spirit, pure spring water from their own farm, homegrown elderflower, plus ten other botanicals and transform them into a fantastically smooth and intensely aromatic gin.Serving suggestion: Three different ones all with tonic and 1. Lemon makes it very refreshing 2. Lime still refreshing but bringing forward subtle spice 3. Orange Peel makes it much more savoury and more spiciness comes through.POETIC LICENSE Northern Dry Sunderland £31.59Expect a big punch of juniper that is finely balanced with green cardamom for a warm and spicy flavour. With undertones of lemon and eucalyptus, the inclusion of Persian lime intensifies the citrus feel while adding a note of perfume. As for the other botanicals, that’s a secret for now.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and slice of pink grapefruit.POETIC LICENSE Old Tom Sunderland £31.59This classic originating from the mid-1800s delivers a sweeter and more peppery taste in comparison with the Dry Gin. From the botanicals alone they nurture its sweet taste, while oak casks continue to add flavour and colour. The inclusion of rose petals infuses a distinct character to the sweetness as well as a slight rose gold tinge.Serving suggestion: Ginger Ale and a slice of red apple and some cinnamon.WARNER EDWARDS Victoria’s Rhubarb Northamptonshire£31.99Queen Victoria grew the very same rhubarb that infuses their Harrington Dry gin in her garden at Buckingham Palace. It is now grown on a crown estate, in the Victorian kitchen garden style. The end result is a sweet and tangy rhubarb explosion.Serving suggestion: Tonic water or Ginger Ale.WHITTAKER’S Clearly Sloe Harrogate £31.99Whittaker’s classic gin recipe (juniper, bilberry, bog myrtle, hawthorn and thyme) is laced with liquorice root and finest sloe berries, then allowed to gently macerate, creating a clearly rare artisan gin.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and sloe berries.WHITTAKER’S Pink Peculiar Harrogate £31.99Handcrafted with great skill and care in the heart of Yorkshire. An award winning contemporary gin with signature botanicals of pink peppercorns, pink hibiscus and cardamom with a hint of lemon citrus.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and pink peppercorns or a pink hibiscus flower.CHASE Williams Elegant Herefordshire £32.99Elegant 48 is made from scratch rare varieties of apples from their 200 year old bioganic cider orchards. The botanicals include juniper, elderflower, Bramley apple and angelica, plus secret wild botanicals from their meadow. Elegant and crisp with juniper and green fruits upfront.Serving suggestion: Tonic water and slice of apple or neat over ice.NORDES Atlantic Galicia £32.99Inspired by the eponymous fresh northerly Atlantic wind. Made using pomace from Albarino grapes, the botanicals include juniper, ginger hibiscus and liquorice, resulting in a unique, full flavoured and intriguing gin.Serving suggestion: Grapes and a sage leaf.SACRED Christmas Pudding London £33.99Ian Hart, the founder of Sacred Microdistillery, created this limited edition gin after he was left with too much Christmas pudding, he steeped it in English grain spirit with juniper berries for three months then distilled it. The result is rich and satisfying gin that makes an elegant alternative to Christmas pudding after a large festive dinner.Serving suggestion: Neat straight from the freezer.POLLINATION Wales £34.99Made with 29 botanicals including 19 which are locally foraged, which include chamomile, lemon balm, rowan berry and bramble. Others are obtained from the foothills of Mount Snowdon and around the Welsh county of Gwynedd. A creamy and herbaceous gin.Serving suggestion: Tonic water with torn mint leaves and a twist of lemon peel.DEATHS DOOR U.S.A. £37.99Death's Door Gin is made with a base spirit of wheat from Washington Island and malted barley from Wisconsin, as well as a small selection of botanicals (juniper, coriander and fennel). Big but balanced notes of all three botanicals appear clear as day, carried on a clean, creamy spirit.Serving suggestion: Soft enough to drink neat, perfect for Martini's or with tonic water and a slice of fennel and apple.OTHERS – Just a few of the fantastic offers we have on hundreds of different spirits and liqueurs this year. We have many many more, if there is anything else you need, however obscure, we probably have it, just ask!Blended with the finest rums from the Caribbean and their unmatched recipe of natural spices.O.V.D. Old Vatted Demerara Rum £16.99Matured in Guyana its mellow, rich, spicy, full-bodied taste is the choice of the discerning dark rum drinker.KRAKEN Black Spiced Rum £19.99Imported Rum from the Caribbean blended with natural flavour. Kraken Rum is strong, rich, black and smooth.DOORLY’S XO Oloroso Cask, Golden Rum £24.99One of my all-time favourite Rum’s. A rich yet subtle rum surprisingly mellow. Demerara sugar, treacle, liquorice and aniseed on the palate. Fantastically smooth on it’s own but not too pricey if your mixing it also.DIPLOMATICO Reserva Exclusiva Rum £32.99An exquisite sipping rum that is made almost entirely from sugar cane honey. Very chocolatey initially, like a chocolate sauce on dessert. Rich and full, bursting with the sweet toffee, fudge and tropical fruit flavours from the nose. The texture is very generous, rounded by the oak. Real mouth-watering depth of flavour here.Belvedere Polish Vodka £29.99The original and true expression of luxury vodka, created from 600 years of Polish vodka-making tradition. Full and round with a medium bodied weight and rich, velvety texture.Torres 10 Gran Reserva, Spanish Brandy £13.99Great price! Extremely rich, quite sweet and very smoothMAXIME TRIJOL V.S. Classic Cognac £22.99Produced from young cognacs, the Maxime Trijol V.S. is rich in intense, fruity, floral aromas. The fruity aromatic balance makes this V.S. the ideal cocktail and long drink ingredient, but smooth enough to drink on its own.MAXIME TRIJOL V.S.O.P. Grande Champagne £36.99The VSOP Grande Champagne is blended from a large proportion of cognacs aged between 10 and 20 years. Distilled from grapes from the Grande Champagne region, this cognac offers rich aromas of rancio, with candied peels, stone fruits and aniseed. Delicious.JANNEAU V.S.O.P. Armagnac £25.99Symbolic of the Janneau house style, the VSOP is a perfect blend of carefully selected eaux-de-vie, some matured for up to 20 years in new oak casks in our ancient cellars. Lively, tangy entry to a fruity-yet-dry medium-to-full body with white chocolate and caramel notes. Finishes with a lingering honeyed golden raisin, toasted and spice.BARON DE SIGOGNAC 10ans Armagnac £29.99The 10 year old Baron de Sigognac delivers an exceptional and rare taste. This is a beautifully crafted Bas-Armagnac. Very round and full; earthy with notes of dried fruit and toffee yet showing floral, woody and spicy notes. Long well balanced finish with hints of almonds and vanilla.EVAN WILLIAMS Flavoured Bourbon’s, Liqueurs £18.99Available in either Cherry/ Cinnamon/ Honey. All very rich and reasonably sweet but still with that Bourbon aftertaste. Perfect Winter Warmers.BEPI TOSOLINI Saliza, Amaretto £18.99The best Amaretto we’ve tried. A traditional Italian amaretto made with crushed almonds. Light, delicious and rounded on the palate with a fresh almond sweetness, but not too sugary.KINGS Ginger Liqueur (50cl) £22.99Our most popular liqueur for this time of year. A liqueur specifically formulated by Berry Bros. in 1903 for King Edward VII. Rich and zesty, the liqueur was created to stimulate and revivify His Majesty during morning rides in his new horseless carriage. Very warming and great as an after dinner digestive.Port offersFonseca1998 Guimaraens – Single Quinta Vintage in a wooden box plus decanting funnel £22.99Graham’sSix Grapes Reserve Port – £8.992011 Late Bottled Vintage – £9.992007 Crusted Port – In a gift carton £13.992004 Quinta dos Malvedos – Single Quinta Vintage in a wooden box £19.9910 Year Old Tawny – In a gift tube £12.9920 Year Old Tawny – In a gift tube £26.9930 Year Old Tawny – In a gift tube £49.9940 Year Old Tawny – In a gift tube £74.995cl Miniature Gift Pack – Containing five styles £9.9920cl Gift Pack – Containing five styles £29.99KrohnLagrima White Port £9.99Rio Torto Reserva £9.992011 Late Bottled Vintage £10.992005 Quinta Retiro Novo – Single Quinta Vintage in a wooden box £15.992003 Vintage – In a wooden box £29.992001 Colheita £14.991998 Colheita £16.991995 Colheita- In a wooden box £19.991982 Colheita – In a wooden box £38.991976 Colheita – In a wooden box £59.99Smith Woodhouse1998 Madalena – Single Quinta Vintage in a wooden box £16.99Taylor’s10 Year Old Tawny – in a wooden box £17.99Warre’s2003 Bottle Matured Late Bottled Vintage – In a wooden box £14.991998 Quinta da Cavadinha – Single Quinta Vintage in a wooden box £20.99The Byrne Christmas Beer KegAs usual we have the D. Byrne & Co. Christmas beer Keg of gorgeous beer prepared specially for us by Bowland Brewery, at just £18.99We also have a huge selection of bottled beers both local and international and beer gift packs which make excellent presents.May we take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support throughout 2016 and wish you all a very Merry and Peaceful Christmas.
- D. Byrne & Co. Seasonal CasesWe are delighted to announce our annual Seasonal Cases for 2016!Each of the cases contain a fantastic selection of specially chosen bottles for all your seasonal drinking. They also make ideal presents, which can be collected from the shop or can be delivered to any address in mainland UK in time for Christmas. The cases also make excellent corporate gifts, please call us for details.So whether you want to send a gift, thank a loved one, turn up with something special at a house party or simply light the fire, put your feet up and indulge, we have something for you.Please note that due to the sheer quantity of wines being sold in our cases over the Christmas period, we reserve the right to substitute a wine or vintage for one of an equal quality if necessary.Our full Christmas Newsletter full of goodies will be out in the very near future, watch this space.For orders or enquiries about any of the cases or wines in this newsletter, please contact us by phone at the shop on 01200 423152 or 01200 422281, thank you.D. Byrne & Co. CHRISTMAS CASE2015 Domaine Vedilhan Serica Viognier, Pays d’OcD. Byrne & Co White Wine Of The Year 2016/17An extremely fine and richly textured Viognier with bitter-sweet aromas of crystallised orange peel, ginger and cream. Barrel-fermentation brings subtle texture and richness rather than a dominant oaky flavour, leaving rich stone fruits and fresh herbs to shine through.2014 Clos de l’Eglise Macon Charnay, BourgogneAn unoaked, fresh and elegant white Burgundy in the Chablis-style.Delicate citrus blossom on the nose and a palate brimming with bright and lightly creamy fruit flavours. A classic food friendly Bourgogne Chardonnay with good depth and an underlying savoury minerality.2015 Les Mains Noires Cotes de Rousillon Blanc, Vallee de l’AglyA vibrant and easy drinking dry white from the black soils of Roussillon.Made mainly with Grenache Blanc and a splash of Macabeu, this wine is lightly aromatic and has abundant green apple, citrus and floral notes that are balanced perfectly by a refreshing, appetising finish.2015 Terrazze della Luna Nosiola, TrentinoTrentino’s native Nosiola grape produces wines of real character.A lightly floral nose with pear and apple notes. Delicate and fresh on the palate with spicy green apple fruit balanced by zesty acidity. The textured and lightly nutty finish has a crisp green edge.2015 Tabali Pedregoso Gran Reserva Sauvignon Blanc, LimariUniquely focussed Sauvignon Blanc from Chile's fantastic cool-climate region.Intense, complex and elegant on the nose with citric notes and green aromas. The palate shows great volume with crisp, high acidity giving chalky minrality and a fresh, long, fruity finish.2015 La Bascula Catalan Eagle Red, Terra AltaD. Byrne & Co Red Wine Of The Year 2016/17Weighty and complex yet retaining a bright freshness which is characterized by spicy blackberry and raspberry fruit. Old vine Garnacha and Carignan aged in French oak gives this wine a thoroughly modern feel while remaining firmly and typically Spanish. Outstanding quality and value for money.2014 MOKO Black Pinot Noir, MarlboroughThis is a lovely, lifted Pinot with plenty of fragrance and finesse. The wine displays the classic crunchy cranberry and red currant fruit flavours associated with this most noble of grapes, and although the wine is fruit driven and delicious on its own, there is enough bite and texture to be food friendly.2015 Chateau de Belleverne Chenas ‘Le Chatelain’, Beaujolais2015 was a truly exceptional vintage for Beaujolais and if there’s such a thing as Blockbuster Beaujolais, this is it; deep and beetroot-stained with a flowery aroma and a flavour of ripe Morello cherries, the palate is plush and generous with a velvety texture.2015 Domaine Mas Barrau Cabernet Franc, Pays du GardSensual, seductive and sophisticated Cabernet Franc from the Pays du Gard.There is a wild ripeness of sweet orange-zest scented raspberry fruit twinned with an edgy woodland perfume. The palate is incredibly long and very rich with fleshy fruit flavours counterbalanced by a bitter, woody, character and a thread of honey.2013 Boutinot ‘La Cote Sauvage’ Cairanne, Cotes du RhoneFor the La Côte Sauvage fully ripe Grenache and Syrah grapes are hand-picked from old bush vines on selected hillside slopes within Cairanne, a village which was recently elevated to cru status. With cherry and a touch of sweet spice on the nose, ripe berry, liquorice, chocolate, summer pudding and a hint of cinnamon spice on the palate, this wine is full flavoured and smooth with supple tannins.2013 Cantina Nicosia Nerello Mascalese, SicilyNerello Mascalese is one of Sicily’s most serious red grapes, thriving on the slopes of Mt Etna. Ripe cherry and red berry fruit on the nose with spicy, savoury notes. Supple, juicy fruit combines with fresh acidity to give an attractive, easy to drink red - warm, rounded and medium-bodied with gentle tannins.2013 Novas Gran Reserva Carmenere Cabernet, Colchagua ValleyA deliciously natural, black, muscular food wine, with a great sense of place. A deeply coloured classic blend of Carmenere and Cabernet, dark fruit aromas mixed with soft toasty notes. The palate is intensely rich with lots of herbal flavours, including mint. There is a slight salinity, with lots of fruit and dusty, clay earth and a beautiful stony finish.£89.99 if collected from the shop or £98 delivered anywhere in mainland UKCONNOISSEURS CASE 20162015 Pazo Barrantes Albarino, Rias BaixasVery pale with green-gold lights. Full of aromas of wild flowers, white fruits and a hint of spice. A textured palate with plenty of palate weight followed by a fine stony finish. This is a very fine dry white from one of the very best producers in the Rias Baixas, superb with shellfish.2015 Signos de Origen ‘La Vinilla’, Casablanca ValleyElegant aromas of apricot, toasted almonds and hints of vanilla. The palate is full and smooth with subtle notes of flowers, luscious lemon meringue fruit and creamy oak with bright natural acidity and a refreshing savoury twist. A modern day Chilean classic which is wonderfully rich and powerful and a food matching dream.2012 Turckheim Grand Cru Brand Riesling, AlsaceArchetypal Alsace Riesling; fine and dry with elegant pear and citrus fruit on the nose underpinned by hallmark petrol aromas. The palate is broader with rich fruits and a crisp, steely finish. Riesling may not be in fashion, but it is undoubtedly the most noble of noble grapes. A true connoisseurs wine in every sense.2015 Domaine Roblin Sancerre ‘Terres Blanches’, LoireSmokey, almost toasty aromas and fresh grass, mingle with just picked lemon and a hint of aniseed. The palate has more lemon, fresh grass, savoury notes, hay and hints of spice. It is round and full in the mouth, finishing with a pure intensity and zippiness that you'd expect in classy Sancerre.2013 Villa Raiano Ventidue Fiano di Avellino, CampaniaA rich and textural Fiano from Raiano's finest vineyard plots. Stone fruit aromas with some savoury, flinty and herbal notes. The palate is complex with peach, nectarine, mineral, and slight leesy characters. Textural, with crisp acidity and great length on the finish.2014 Feudo Maccari Saia Nero d’Avola, SicilyAwarded tre bicchieri (Gambero Rosso) for the past 4 years, the Saia Nero d’Avola is the wine that put Feudo Maccari on the map. From selected plots of 30 to 40year old bush vines, this is a Nero of uncommon delicacy and perfume. Floral, violet aromas backed by spicy notes. The palate has layers of ripe plum fruit with smoke, mocha and more spice - a rich, ample wine backed by vibrant acidity.2013 Waterkloof Circumstance Cabernet Franc, StellenboschThe hugely impressive Waterkloof estate is a certified bio-dynamic vineyard. The estate wines are produced in tiny quantities, and represent the very essence of the pristine landscape from which they are drawn. Cabernet Franc craves a slow, even ripening and its potential on the estates ocean-facing site shines through here. This is an exhilarating wine which must be decanted in order to fully appreciate its wonders, serve with lamb or pink duck.2014 Cline Cellars Ancient Vines Mourvedre,Tiny yields of two to three tons per hectare are drawn from Cline’s Contra Costa Mourvedre vineyards. This is hugely concentrated and opulent in style with flavours of dark plum and chocolate leading to a hint of oak and a smooth finish. Long, savoury and luscious.2015 Wandering Beeste Syrah, SwartlandMineral, fine and uplifting, with bright acidity and fine tannins that lift the ripe Syrah fruit to a freshness and vitality seldom found in Swartland. The mean, slatey soils give further minerality to the palate which finishes long, broad and bright. This is a wonderfully fresh and floral Syrah with a good dollop of pepper and spice, a brilliant food wine.2010 Contino Reserva RiojaAll Contino wines are made from grapes exclusively grown on the 62 hectare estate located in Laserna, near the town of Laguardia in the Rioja Alavesa wine making region. This was the first single estate concept in the Rioja region and was established in 1973. This really is a Rioja legend from a legendary vintage, developed, mouth-filling flavours and incredible persistence.2013 Chateau L’Ermitage Cuvee Sainte-Cecile Rouge, Costieres de NimesThis is a warm, herbal-scented southern French wine that is immediately soft and developed.A beefy Syrah/Mourvedre/Grenache blend that is dark and distinctive with lots of ripe red fruit, sweet and savoury characters and roasted coffee flavours. Warm, southern, spicy fruit that is quite warming and appealing yet still rustic.2014 Merum Priorati Ardiles, PrioratThe wine is deep and moody yet captures a brightness and elegance remarkable for such a powerful wine. Sweet mulberry fruit is surrounded by herbal notes of thyme and fennel and underpinned with a hint of vanilla. Very ripe, fine tannins allow the sweet, juicy fruit to dominate but with the seriousness of leather, tobacco and coffee notes adding complexity.£150 if collected from the shop or £158 delivered anywhere in the UKAndrew's Christmas BoxN.V. Emiliana Organic Brut Sparkling Wine, Casablanca ValleyWe now have such customer interest in organic wines that this year I decided to draw up a separate list of purely organic wines, needless to say this sensational fizz is one of the real highlights. The first organic fizz from Chile’s leading organic producer. Persistent, fine bubbles provide a classic mousse. Aromas of green apples and papaya with notes of toasted brioche. The palate is impressively clean and balanced with moreish fruit driven character and a long, seductive finish.2015 Diez Siglos Verdejo, RuedaIn order to select the wines for my wedding this year, Joseph organised a blind tasting of several candidates for Isabel and I to taste, we had already chosen the red so it was down to the white. And the winning white wine is…Diez Siglos Verdejo, wow!! And in such a star line up. You can imagine my surprise (not to mention elation), not only a great wine but it would also save me a packet. It is a widely acknowledged that women have superior palate’s for tasting wine and on this occasion I was only too happy to bow to my dearest’s superiority. Complex aromas of stone fruit, tangerine oil and citrus. A rounded and full flavoured palate, with notes of peaches and cream. Textural, though bright and pure with a long finish.2015 Feudo Maccari 'Family and Friends' Grillo, Sicily‘Family and Friends’ sums up the whole ethos of our wedding. A glitzy gathering of 99 Byrne’s, 50 Davie’s and countless friends packed into the warehouse to celebrate mine and Isabel’s marriage. And although I say it myself, this really was one of the most joyful occasions ever. From a selection of the finest Grillo grapes on the estate - fermented and aged 4 months in French oak. A restrained and complex nose with hints of dried fruit, orange peel and papaya. Ripe stone fruit characters and spicy oak lead to a creamy, textured palate and a long, savoury finish.2011 Boutinot Cairanne ‘Les Six’ Côtes du Rhône VillagesIn early summer this year myself and Isabel spent two weeks in Cairanne, we stayed as guests on the Boutinot estate. Our initial thoughts and intentions before leaving were to blend our own wine to serve at the wedding, I have put together some crackers in the past but on this occasion it wasn’t to be. Lurking in a dark corner of the winery was the last dusty palate of ‘Les Six’, and even better it was 2011. A tasting of the wine quickly followed and I was reminded of just how good this wine had been two years earlier. So that was that, I offered the estate manager Kim Tidy a princely sum for the whole palate and he duly accepted. Surely 700+ bottles would be enough to keep the guests happy, and I might even have a few left to enjoy over the coming years. Six varieties, some familiar, others less so, combine beautifully to make one superb Cairanne. In an appellation often dominated by just two varieties, ‘Les Six’ is a new style of Cairanne which, due to the ancient varieties of Carignan Noir (10%), Cinsault (10%) and Counoise (10%) included in the assemblage, is also a Cairanne whose heart holds dear the traditions of yesteryear. ‘Les Six’ is all about elegance and the expression of six different grape varieties; soft red fruits gently seasoned with a touch of oak.Massaya ‘Le Colombier’, The Lebanon’s Bekaa ValleyWhilst I was in the Rhone I visited Daniel Brunier at the famous Vieux Télégraphe in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Daniel and his brother Frédéric, now make wines in the Lebanon’s Beqaa Valley. The Massaya wines are a very popular range in the shop, offering the perfect mix of modern wine making and that captivating Lebaneese spice. A blend of Cinsault, Grenache Noir, Syrah and Tempranillo, ‘Le Colombier’ is a fresh, thirst-quenching wine, distinguished by hints of spice, pepper and cedarwood. Ironically I did have the opportunity to visit the Lebanon in early October, but allas love conquers all and I had to decline the opportunity as it coincided with my wedding day!!Krohn Colheita 1995Krohn produce the most wonderfully silky and complex of all Colheita’s. The wines are disgracefully decadent, rich and impossible to put down, I will be enjoying mine by the fire with the last of our wedding cake. A stunning richly flavoured Colheita, drinking perfectly after nearly 20 years in barrel! From the very correct 1995 vintage. Deep brick red. A warm, rich, spicy nose, with aromas of plum cake, caramel and dates. The palate is generous with lots of rich, concentrated flavours, dried fruit, dates, raisins, nuts and plum. Stunning length and great balance.£80 if collected in the shop or £88 delivered anywhere in mainland UK
- As I'm typing this the sun is streaming in through the window, we have both doors of the shop wedged open (always a sign that summer is on its way) and our customers in the shop have even been spotted wearing shorts! Our thoughts have turned to the summer delights of dusting down the BBQ and choosing between chilled glasses of rose or clinking ice in the G&T. We have our new Summer Case ready to go which features some stunning wines for all occasions, a special Barbecue Case with wines specially chosen to go with charcoal grilled foodstuffs, and an Everyday Case stuffed with fun and easy-drinking wines for when you don't need a special occasion as an excuse.
We have new wines in store, a few pictured below, some fantastic award winning wines and seasonal spirit offers. One of our recent mentions in the national press has thrown the spotlight on a particularly lovely Greek wine and just for a little change we have suggested some fabulous summery Ports.
There's a little bit of something in here for everyone. If anything captures your imagination call in at the shop to see us, or give us a ring on 01200 423152 and we can arrange delivery for you.
We hope you have a resplendent and sumptuous summer of blue skies and warm temperatures.
All the team at D. Byrne & Co.
The Summer Case 2016
La Lisse Soie d’Ivoire Chenin Blanc, Pays de l’ Haute Vallee de l’Aude
A bright, lemony and densely fruity ensemble made from the ultra-fashionable Chenin Blanc grape. This ripe yet crunchy fruit gives this wine its freshness, vigour and spine and at the same time its luscious texture which is further complemented and enriched from one third vinified and matured for nine months in seasoned French oak.
Alasia Roero Arneis, Piemonte
A rich, dry white with ripe pear fruit, almond and tropical notes. The palate is plump, soft and expressive, packed with stone fruit and apricots, with a delicious texture and nutty, herbal finish. Hints of fennel, clove and citrus.
Sileni Estate Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough
The Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc has ripe tropical and gooseberry fruit flavours with a zingy finish and impeccable balance. A great aperitif or seafood wine the Sileni Sauvignon is understandably one of our most popular white wines.
Quintas de Melgaço Alvarinho/Trajadura, Vinho Verde
The archetypal white wine of northern Portugal - classic Vinho Verde with an appealing touch of spritz. Gentle aromas of citrus and nectarine. Pure and bright on the palate with textural stone fruit and pear characters. Beautifully balanced with a dry, mineral finish.
Vedilhan Serica Viognier, Pays d’Oc
Richly textured with bitter-sweet aromas of crystalised orange peel, ginger and cream. Barrel-fermentation brings subtle texture and richness rather than a dominant oaky flavour, leaving rich stone fruits and lightly tannic herbs to shine through. Elaborately textured, full-flavoured Viognier at its finest.
Peacock Wild Ferment Syrah, Stellenbosch
A very classy, restrained style of cool, coastal Cape Shiraz.
Bright red and sour cherries, plums as well as earthy dusty notes and sweet spice on the nose. The palate has lots of creamy fruit, with firm food tannins and a lovely sappy finish. Ripe, savoury flavours which are balanced by the fresh acidity.
Fleurie La Madone, Beaujolais Villages
This is very fresh and perfumed with deliciously crunchy red fruits. Appealing aromas of crushed strawberries and autumn leaves with a puff of lilac perfume that lead to the classic forest fruit flavours backed by earthy undertones. The 2015 vintage is outstanding.
Pablo y Walter Malbec, Mendoza
We simply had to include this stunning new vintage of one of our stalwart Malbecs.
A celebration of Mendoza - the colour, culture and flavour and a celebration of friendship. A really pure expression of Malbec, bright red and wonderfully aromatic with lifted red currant and cassis. Muy, muy fantasticó – richly bloody, vibrant, Latin and velveteen.
Caparrone, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
A great combination of rich, spicy, robust flavours with fresh and approachable fruit. Deeply-coloured red with aromas of violets and ripe black fruit. The palate is warm and generous with attractive black cherry fruit, wild plum, firm tannins and good length.
Sila Mencia, Monterrei
A bright, fresh and intriguing red from the increasingly fashionable Mencia grape.
Fresh cherry and redcurrant aromas typical of Mencia, with hints of black pepper. Bright, juicy red fruits, balancing acidity and added complexity from the subtle use of French oak - together with smooth rounded tannins - make this wine nicely poised and very drinkable.
Borsao Seleccion Garnacha, Campo de Borja
Rich, plum and red berry fruit with a touch of white pepper on the nose. A nicely balanced yet concentrated red fruit mix with darker spice and chocolate notes giving weight and texture to the palate. Plump ripe tannins and pepper add some grip to this juicy, approachable and utterly delicious red.
Ciconia Tinto, Alentejano
This wine is constantly picking up awards and plaudits for the best value Portuguese red wine, and it is very easy to see why. Ciconia Tinto combines approachability with the Alentejo’s rich, soft red fruits. An un-oaked fruit driven wine with real character.
£89.99 if collected from the shop or £98 if delivered to any address in the UK
The Barbecue Case 2016
Les Cepages Oublies Gros Manseng/Colombard, Cotes de Gascogne
Fresh, racy and instantly appealing. Fruit salad in a glass!
Lovely grassy aromatic nose, balanced by ripe, tropical melon and pink grapefruit, the palate is softer and creamier than you would expect with real depth of flavour finishing with a fresh, zippy lemon tang.
Domaine L’Olibet Viognier, Pays d’Oc
An aromatic wine combining perfumed fruit with freshness and zip!
This viognier is refreshingly lean, counterpoised by the near-tropical lilt of floral scents which mingle on the palate with delicious ripe pear and fleshy peach flavours.
Meerestein Chenin Pinot Grigio, Western Cape
Vibrant and aromatic with delicious generous fresh apricot, white peach and hints of passion fruit on the nose. On the palate it has tight, white, fleshy stone fruit with a balancing sandy texture. Bright acidity and minerality delivers a delicious balance.
Adobe Reserva Chardonnay, Casablanca Valley
Fresh, nutty and balanced Chardonnay made from organically grown grapes.
Its aroma is a mixture of citric fruit such as grapefruit blended with juicy tropical fruit notes with a soft touch of hazelnut. The palate has sweet characteristics of mango, pineapple and passion fruit with a finishing lick of acidity
El Tesoro Verdejo, Castilla Leon
An intensely aromatic Verdejo from Rueda's finest co-operative.
Aromas of tropical fruit with hints of citrus. The palate has some passion fruit and grapefruit characters backed by broader stone fruit notes. Well-balanced and textural on the palate with a fresh, bright finish.
Percheron Grenache Gris Rose, Western Cape
A beautiful, limpid pale salmon pink with delicate floral hints and wild red fruit flavours from the young-vine Grenache fruit, finishing with zesty pink grapefruit acidity. This is a very soft and approachable style of unashamedly easy drinking rose.
Les Cepages Oublies Cinsault/Grenache Old Vines, Pays d’Oc
Herbal and savoury with just enough richness - a great Mourvèdre.
Mourvèdre is enjoying a renaissance in the South; with a deeply stained colour and herby, blackberry bushes and thyme on the nose, this is a grown-up wine quite different from many wines produced in the Languedoc. On the palate, bright and fresh red and black fruits are counterpoised with savoury tannins and a meaty finish.
Alaia Prieto Picudo/Tempranillo/Merlot, Castilla Leon
Characterful red from the intriguing Prieto Picudo grape, indigenous to the León province.
Intense aromas of cherry and red fruit, with more savoury woodland and cocoa notes. The palate is complex - fruity and medium-bodied - with black cherry and plum characters combined with bramble fruits, spice, balanced acidity and good length.
Vista Tinta Roriz/Touriga Nacional/Cabernet Sauvignon, Beira
Aromas of ripe black fruits and herbal, leafy notes, with a touch of pepper. Warm and richly flavoured on the palate with riper blackberry fruit - bright and lifted though, with plenty of grip and a touch of spice on the finish.
The Last Stand Shiraz, Victoria
Bright, aromatic and juicy on the nose with just a touch of naughty bacon fat. True to the varietal, the tiny proportion of Malbec in this blend gives a flowery perfume. A dangerously drinkable Shiraz with bright fruit and soft silky elegance.
La Chapelle de Marin, Cotes du Rhone
With attractive, bramble fruit and floral aromas, the palate is up-front and fresh with warm spice and real depth. This is a classic southern Rhône red; ripe and characterful with smooth supple tannins.
San Felice Contrada Red, Tuscany
This wine is sourced from San Felice's renowned Chianti Classico vineyards.
Warm and generous aromas of ripe cherries, violet, spice and leather. Rich, plummy fruit on the palate is balanced by gentle tannins and fresh acidity giving an approachable versatile style of Tuscan red.
£74.99 if collected from the shop or £83 if delivered to any address in the UK
The Everyday Case
Murviedro Fauno Viura/Sauvignon Blanc, Valencia
Medal-winning and fantastically fruity Viura Sauvignon Blanc blend from sunny Valencia.
Fresh peach and citrus aromas follow onto the bright and fresh palate. Here ripe stone fruit and gooseberry notes combine with mineral characters to add texture.
Sanvigilio Pinot Grigio, Pavia
Shows delicate, yet lifted, floral and fruity aromas on the nose. Crisp and fresh on the palate with a ripe lemon character, the wine has a good mouthfeel and clean finish. Very light and easy drinking.
Il Meridione Grillo, Sicilia
A honeyed, floral and spicy nose with hints of ginger and stone fruit. Ripe, sun-dried citrus characters on the palate with savoury notes and a creamy texture. Fresh balancing acidity on the lightly nutty finish.
Soldiers Block Chardonnay, Victoria
Pure elegance from the Southern Ocean.
An elegant and easy drinking wine. This vibrant Chardonnay exhibits lifted fruit character, bright tangerine fleshiness, textural mouth-feel, a bright palate and a long and foodie finish.
Bellefontaine Sauvignon Blanc, Pays d’Oc
Classic Sauvignon Blanc nose with herbaceous notes, yet with underlying ripeness. Pretty elderflower aromas balanced with zesty grapefruit notes. Concentrated fruit and good acidity make this a very satisfying drop!
Murviedro Fauno GSM, Valencia
Appealing, award-winning, juicy Grenache Syrah Monastrell blend from Valencia
Bright nose with plums and blackberries. The palate is characterful with riper black fruit, supple tannins and fresh, juicy acidity. Finishing with a hint of pepper and spice.
Vega Piedra Tinto, Rioja
Great value classic House Rioja from Bodegas Carlos Serres in Haro.
Approachable, appealing and juicy in style with lifted red berry fruit and hints of spice. The palate is bright with bramble and cherry fruit and gently rounded tannins. Nicely-balanced with a long finish.
Conviviale Montepulciano, Abruzzo
An intense wine with cherry, ripe plum fruit aromas and warm, earthy spice. The palate is densely packed with Morello cherry, cassis and bramble fruit flavours. Tannins are ripe, giving structure to a substantial wine with a fresh sappy finish.
Les Oliviers Grenache, Pays d’Oc
Supple yet with underlying structure, it is quite lifted and vibrant on the nose moving on to a full and intense palate. A fresh and exciting wine that is lively and exuberant. Packed full of ripe, crunchy red berry fruit backed up with a hint of liquorice and touch of spice. Lovely.
Meerestein Shiraz/Mourvedre, Swartland
A perfumed nose with a delicious bright raspberry and crushed blackcurrant character and an almost savoury finish.
Tierra Alta Pinot Noir, Central Valley
Quite simply the best value Pinot Noir we have come across.
A delicate and elegant wine (as all good Pinot should be) showing ripe fruit flavours of plums and wild strawberries, balanced with subtle smoky notes and a deliciously lingering finish.
Soldiers Block Malbec, Victoria
Classically textured, violet in hue with an exotically perfumed nose. A great wine to serve with rich and flavoursome foods.
£64.99 if collected from the shop or £73 if delivered to any address in the UKThree of the finestThe top three wines from the March 2016 edition of the Decanter magazine Australian GSM blends Panel Tasting, all given a rating of outstanding 95-97 pts. All wines are now in stock.2013 Ruggabellus Efferus, Barossa Valley 96/100 £32.992014 Rusty Mutt Rocky Ox GSM, McLaren Vale 95/100 £16.992012 Spinifex Esprit, Barossa Valley 95/100 £22.99
Our latest recommended wines
and special offers
Offer The Tea Leaf Chenin Blanc, Piekernierskloof £8.99 (was £10.59)
Complex sandy stone fruit nose with notes of crushed granite, slightly saline. The palate has firm, high-key fruit, a broad texture and quiet persistence that persists and persists. Ultimately this is a deeply satisfying single vineyard, ancient vine block with a genuinely unique terroir feel and character from an unforgettably surprising vineyard. Winemaker Donovan Rall is one of the hottest wine making talents on the planet, a simply outstanding and impossibly fine wine for the price.
Offer Aquifer Semillon, Swartland £8.99 (was £9.99)
A sensational and uniquely textural Semillon from 51-year-old vines.
Wonderful aromas of fresh lime, eucalyptus and hot sandy soil, there is a slightly rocky, dried lemon peel flavour but most of all a taut, precise layered palate with bright acidity and real breadth. Beautiful now, this might just have a life span to match the current age of the vineyard. A bottled drop of time and place, hand-made in Africa.
Offer Sileni ‘The Straits’ Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough £8.99 (was £10.99)
The richer sister of the hugely popular Sileni Cellar Selection Sauvignon, this is a great offer. Rich and intensely flavoured Marlborough Sauvignon, in the classic regional style, this wine has intensely aromatic gooseberry and passionfruit characters. The palate is rich and full with a long finish.
Offer Les Coteaux Tufiers Demi-Sec, Vouvray £6.99 (was £7.99)
A delicious off-dry style of Chenin Blanc with aromas of just-picked walnuts, a hint of lime and a sappy melon skin note. The palate is honeyed with cooked apple, agave and ginger. The sweetness is perfectly integrated and balanced, resulting in a refreshing wine with good length.
Offer Durello Spumante Brut ‘Palladino’ £6.99 (was £7.99)
A great alternative to Prosecco at a great price, very clean green apple fruit flavours and good depth.
Offer Domenico de Bertiol Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Extra Dry £8.99
There are fine, light, fruity aromas of fresh green apples and pears plus a hint of yeastiness on the nose. The palate is creamy and softly sparkling with some richness and a long, gently aromatic finish.
New Kindred Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch £9.99
Fresh hay and warm sand with just a bee’s breath of honey on the nose. The palate shows fine sand again, a touch of honey over tight white stone fruit.
New Kindred Old Vine Cinsault £9.99
First thing is the colour. This is the correct colour for Cape Cinsaut. It's pale and interesting. The nose is a sandy textural thing with notes of fresh beef carpaccio. The palate is soft and silky and more akin to Pinot Noir than the muscular wine you may expect. It's delicate, even feminine.
New Domaine du Pre Baron, Touraine Gamay £7.39
Lovely fresh, raspberry fruit. Good concentration and depth on the palate, a touch of rusticity and a gentle balancing structure. A classic Gamay with buckets of character.
New Domaine Pontbriand, Pays de Vaucluse £6.59
Sumptuous, fruity and concentrated. Hard to believe this is a humble Vin de Pays!
Beginning with headily-perfumed aromas tinged with violets the nose flows into the full, round and juicy flavours of the mid-palate before a smooth and savoury finish.
The Black Craft Shiraz, Barossa £9.99
A compelling, dark and rich chocolatey beast. Classic Barossa Shiraz with intense savoury flavours of thick blackberry compote, black pepper and typical iron-rich beefy flavours. Not a hint of jam here, no sweetness, this is serious shiraz for grown-ups with balanced acidity, fine velvety tannins and tremendous length.
2012 ‘La Cote Sauvage' Cairanne, Cotes du Rhone £11.59
Andrew tried his damnedest to exhaust the entire stock of the 2012 whilst holidaying on this estate recently, but thankfully for us we still had a few cases of this velvety elixir hidden away in the warehouse. Cairanne was recently and very deservedly elevated to ‘Cru’ status, and for now its wines offer distinctly better value for money than some of the Rhone’s more famous crus. All in all, this drinks beautifully right now but it also has the capability to age for 10+ years and for that reason it has to be the best value, serious red wine in the shop.
Percheron Old Vine Cinsault, Swartland £5.99
‘BEST VALUE RED WINE TROPHY’ The Wine Merchant Top 100 competition.
An untraditional style, where elegance and true character prevail over colour and intensity. Gently compelling with aromas of the earth and stony minerality. The palate includes red fruits, cherries, a hint of spice and creamy refreshing acidity. This is pure, elegant, restrained Cinsault with warm notes of crushed rocks and the regions dry earth.
In the press...........
The Guardian Weekend Magazine21.05.16
"Domaine Papagiannakos Savatiano 2014 (£8.99 D. Byrne of Clitheroe) It's delicious now, but worth hanging on for four to five years, when it will have developed an incredible richness reminiscent of white bordeaux; no wonder the Greeks love their whites."
Tickled pink…some new & great value rose for sipping over the summer
New Leccio Monferrato Chiaretto, Piemonte £6.99
An appealing pale, coral pink - the nose has pretty red berry, strawberry and gently floral notes. The palate balances delicate bitter cherry and redcurrant fruit with crisp, incisive acidity - a refreshing style of rosé with texture and minerality.
New Dune Gris de Gris, Camargue £6.59
This screams of sunny days in the south of France. Think deliciously pale and elegant Provençal rose and halve the cost.
New Chateau Gairoird Rose, Cotes de Provence £9.59
An elegant, fleshy Provençal beauty.
Les Cerisiers Rose, Cotes du Rhone £6.99
Andrew has just returned from this estate where he spent two weeks washing his feet in
this ‘beautiful breakfast rose’. Needless to say this is a gorgeous, fruity and sinfully
easy drinking rose.
Offer Torres Reserva Santa Digna Rose, Curico £6.99
This dark and full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon rose is delicious with spicy food or quaffing at a barbeque.
Lallier Grand Cru Rose Brut, Champagne £23.99
This champagne shows fine mousse in the glass and fresh floral aromas mixed with characteristic sweet, doughy overtones, which are balanced by richer fruit, peach skin characters and classic baked biscuit flavours with a crisp citrus finish. From 100/100 classified Grand Cru vineyards this outstanding Champagne puts many of the more famous Champagnes to shame, on both price and quality. We cannot recommend this highly enough.
Some delicious summery Ports
Barros White Port £12.99
White ports are served well chilled and make a wonderful aperitif, or mix this with some ginger ale and ice cubes to make a glorious, thirst quenching long drink.
Barros 10-year-old Tawny £18.99
A classic 10yr old Tawny, light in colour but tremendously rich, nutty and complex in flavour.
Best served lightly chilled.
Barros 1996 Colheita £21.99
A Colhieta Port is a Tawny Port from a selected harvest. This is 20 years old and a true bargain, incredible complexity and a finish that lasts and lasts.
New Old Perth, Blended Malts
The Finest Scotch Whiskies carefully blended as a tribute to The Fair City of Perth, Birthplace of Historic Blends. Three fantastic whiskies showing that Single Malt isn’t always the best.
Number 4 Release £22.99
Sherry Cask £26.99
Special Offer Tomatin Legacy, Highland Single Malt £22.99
Light and delicate with a candy sweetness which is peppered with hints of pine. Lemon sherbet, pineapple and crunchy green apples with a touch of freshly baked sponge cake. Clean, light and refreshing finish.
Special Offer Tomatin 12 Year Old, Highland Single Malt £25.99
A unique combination of attractive flavours – a balance of apples, pears, malt, with a gentle hint of nuttiness enhanced by the subtle use of sherry wood. Smooth, sweet and very satisfying.
Special Offer Glen Moray Peated, Speyside Single Malt £23.99
A unique twist on the traditional Glen Moray flavour and character. Subtle flavours of vanilla and oak merge with rich peat smoke to provide a very different and intense Glen Moray taste sensation.
Something different Bruadar, Malt Whisky Liqueur £19.99
The finest single malt combines with the unique flavour of honey and sloes in a delicious distinctive mix that is unmistakable. Not overly sweet, instead it is a balanced, well-crafted liqueur.
Gin Brockmans, Intensely Smooth £28.99
A well balanced, full flavoured fruity gin perfect for summer. Made with Bulgarian coriander, blueberries and blackberries as well as bittersweet Valencia orange peel. Delicious!
Gin Darnley’s View, London Dry £24.99
A small batch gin infused with elderflower and citrus. Named to celebrate the first sighting of Lord Darnley by Mary Queen of Scots in 1565 at Wemyss Castle. Nicely balanced with initial lemon freshness, mellowing to a warm, slightly sweet aftertaste and subtle floral notes throughout.All of these wines and spirits can be purchased from the shopor by giving us a ring on 01200 423152 and we can arrange delivery to you.